Today, let me give you a couple tips that will save you money at the driving range, all the while getting a better practice session every time you go out there.
Here’s a couple rules I used to “live” by when I used to play mini-tour events:
1. For every practice shot, make sure you do 2-3 practice swings. That’s right, practice makes perfect, not simply banging balls.
2. For every practice shot, before the shot, imagine and visualize how the golf ball will react after you hit the ball.
3. For every practice shot, before the shot, imagine and visualize how you will swing. Visualize yourself swinging that ball perfectly in rhythm and balance.
Believe me, mind does some awesome stuff for golf.
4. For every practice shot, line-up your shot before hitting the ball from behind the ball like a real shot.
Why would you practice as if it “wasn’t” real? Every shot I practice is the same as the shot I hit under pressure.
This type of mentality helps your conscious to stay the “same” even when playing for real money. On the other hand, banging a lot of balls perfect does the opposite to you when you play because you are simply not that perfect, not even Tiger.
5. For every practice shot, imagine a real green, bunkers, and fairways. You should always have a target on your practice shot and it’s even better if you can imagine hitting a certain shot for EVERY practice shot.
6. For every practice shot, hit a different club. You don’t hit the same club over and over again on the golf course, why would you make it that easy for yourself on the driving range?
Basically, all these tips make you spend most of your time getting ready for your golf shot, just like a real golf shot on the golf course.
Now, if you can’t even hit your pitching wedge past 50 yards, this might not be a good advice for you. But if you have broken 80 or 90 already and you want to get better mentally, this is how you gotta practice.
Maybe not all the time but most of time, you will reap the benefits of hitting every practice shot after you are mentally and physically ready for it.
Using this method, I usually do 500 practice swing with just 100 practice balls and my practice’s quality goes UP, way high. And this shows on the golf course if I shoot couple under.